A classic Tuscan soup (zuppa) made with kale, bacon, and sausage.
- 1⁄2 pound bacon, chopped
- 1 pound Italian Sausage
- 1 head of garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 5 medium-sized russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 kale bunch, de-stemmed and chopped
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon non-iodized salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- parmesan cheese for garnish
- In a large dutch oven, over medium heat add chopped bacon and cook until crispy. Remove bacon from pot and place on a paper towel-lined plate. Remove and save bacon grease.
- Add 1 tablespoon of saved bacon grease and Italian sausage to the dutch oven and cook until fully browned. Remove sausage from the pot.
- Add 1 tablespoon of saved bacon grease, onions, and salt into the dutch oven, cook until translucent. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute; be careful not to burn the garlic!
- Pour in chicken stock, potatoes, and pepper. Simmer until potatoes are just fork-tender. Add in kale and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in cream, bacon, and sausage. Taste for salt and pepper.
- Garnish with parmesan cheese.