I love this meal—it feels like a big hug after a long day. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does!
For the Filling
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1.5 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 cup carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon non-iodized salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
Pre-Heat Oven to 425 degrees
Making the Filling
- Over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of oil to a 4-quart oven-safe braising pan or an oven-safe 12-inch skillet. Added ground beef and cook until fully cooked through and browned. Remove beef from the pan and set aside, drain any excess grease.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil, onions, carrots, celery to skillet and cook until softened, about 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in red wine and cook until reduced by half. Add tomato paste and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Sprinkle in flour, thyme, salt, and pepper and cook for 1 minute. Pour in beef broth and Worcestershire sauce. Reduce heat and simmer until sauce thickens. Once thickened stir in cooked chicken, frozen peas, and parsley.
For Potato Topping
- Add 2.5 pounds of peeled, diced potatoes to an instant pot with 6 cups of water. Cook on high pressure for 12 minutes. Or boil potatoes in a pot until fork tender. Drain potatoes once cooked and return to the pot.
- Add half and half, butter, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Using a potato masher, mash potatoes to desired texture.
- Taste for seasoning.
Putting it all together
- Place mashed potato mixture in dollops over meat mixture and spread evenly. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until potatoes are golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.