This is such a great yummy dish! It is perfect for a pot luck or summer picnic side dish. It can be made ahead and is perfect served chilled for room temp!
- 4 tablespoons olive oil , divided
- 2 cups jasmine rice, well rinsed
- 5 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 fresh cilantro, choppped
- 1⁄4 fresh basil, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup red bell pepper, finely diced
- 2⁄3 cup lightly toasted pine nuts, pumpkin seeds, or chopped cashews
- In a deep saucepan over moderate heat, add the rice 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sauté for 2-3 minutes stirring regularly. Add the stock and bring to boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and continue to cook until all the liquid is absorbed 24-26 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand, partially covered, for 5 minutes. Gently fluff the rice with a fork and pour rice over a cookie sheet to cool completely. Once cooled place rice in a large serving bowl.
- Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, herbs, garlic, onion, bell pepper, nuts, and remaining olive oil to the rice and gently stir to combine. If not used immediately, cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
If making ahead of time, do not chop the herbs and add until the last minute before serving or they will turn brown.