Your family will ask you to make this over and over again. The mix of red sauce and white sauce creates a dish that is rich and delicious!
- 1⁄2 of a 24-ounce can of marinara sauce
- 4 large red bell peppers
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound italian sausages
- 1 bunch of kale, chopped
- 1 large onion
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 cups cooked brown rice cooked with chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk, heated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh nutmeg
- salt and pepper, to taste
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit, and lightly spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Pour a jar of Marinara sauce onto the bottom of the baking dish.
- Slice the bell peppers in half from top to bottom. Remove the seeds and membranes then arrange cut side up in the prepared baking dish and set aside.
- In a large skillet, add olive oil, and once heated add the Italian sausage and cook until brown about 8-10 minutes. Add the onion and kale, cook until the onion is soft and translucent about 5-8 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the rice, 1 cup of Mozzarella cheese, basil, and half of the parmesan cheese.
- Meanwhile, in a large heavy-bottom saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour in milk and cook until sauce thickens about 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- Fill Peppers with rice and sausage mixture.
- Pour the Bechamel sauce over the stuffed pepper and sprinkle the remaining cheese on the top.
- Tent foil over the peppers and bake for 30-35 minutes or until peppers are soft. Remove the foil and bake for another 5-8 minutes until the cheese is browned.
- Allow cooling for 10 minutes before serving.
How to Freeze: Wrap peppers in one layer of foil and then one layer of plastic wrap. Place in the freezer, best used within 3-4 months.
How to Defrost: Place the peppers refrigerator for one to two days before wanting to cook. Bake with the baking directions listed above.