Ever wondered how to make cream of mushroom soup? Well, it couldn’t be easier. This recipe is so easy and delicious that you will never want to buy store-bought again.
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces mushrooms, chopped finely
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat.
- Add mushrooms and season salt, cook, until all the liquid has evaporated and mushrooms are browned about 5 minutes.
- Add flour and whisk together to make a roux and cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken broth and milk, and whisk until smooth.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until the mixture thickens about 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in garlic salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and use as you would a regular can of condensed soup.
This recipe makes the equivalent of 2 small cans of cream of chicken soup.
Store in an air-tight container for up to five days in the refrigerator.