This chocolate pudding is creamy, rich, and supper delicious! After making this recipe you will realize how easy it is and won’t ever want store-bought boxed pudding again!
- In a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan, over medium heat, sift in the cocoa powder, 3 cups of milk, and sugar. Whisk until smooth and bring to a simmer, stirring regularly. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium heat-safe bowl, whisk together 1 cup of milk, egg yolks, salt, and corn starch until smooth and well-combined.
- While whisking the egg mixture, slowly pour 1.5 cups of the hot milk mixture into the bowl.
- Return the milk pot to the stove and turn back to medium heat. Slowly pour the tempered egg mixture into the milk pot while whisking the milk mixture the whole time.
- Whisk the pudding constandly, until it returns to a boil. Immediately reduce heat to a simmer and continue to whisk until the pudding is thick, about 2-3 minutes more.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and butter until fully incorporated.
- The pudding should be smooth. If not, strain pudding through a fine-mesh sieve to remove any lumps.
- Place pudding into a container and lay plastic wrap on the pudding to prevent skin from forming. Chill until set, four hours to overnight.
- Serve with whipped cream!
If the pudding is overcooked the corn starch can break and the pudding will be runny.
If the pudding is undercooked the egg yolks will not set and it will be runny.