Water Glassing Eggs
- 3 ounces calcium hydroxide (pickling lime)
- 3 liters room temperature water
- clean never washed fresh eggs
- Make sure the eggs are clean of manure, dirt, or debris, and check for any cracks. DO NOT WASH the EGGS. Only use extremely clean fresh eggs because you do not want to wash off the bloom (protective coating) off the eggs before water glassing.
- Place eggs into the glass jar.
- In another container, whisk in weighed calcium hydroxide into measured water and stir until dissolved. Pour mixture over eggs.
- Place eggs in a dark and cool place for up to 18 months. Wash eggs before using.