Soft Flour Tortillas
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
Yield: 16 Tortillas
- In a medium-sized bowl combine the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the oil and water. Stir until a shaggy ball of dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead until the is nice and smooth, about 5 minutes. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and let it rest for 20 minutes to 2 hours.
- Divide the dough into 16 equal portions. Turn each piece to coat with flour. Form each piece of dough into a ball and flatten with the palm of your hand. Cover dough.
- Heat a large skillet on medium high.
- Use a light amount of flour and rolling pin to roll each dough piece into a rough circle, about 6-7 inches in diameter. Don’t stack uncooked tortillas on top of each other or they will stick together.
- When the skillet is hot, place one tortilla in the hot skillet and cook for 45 seconds to a minute. There should light brown spots and the tortillas should be starting to bubble. Using tongs flip the tortilla and cook for another 45 seconds to a minute. If they are browning to fast then turn the heat down and if they are cooking to slow turn the heat up. It can take a little adjusting to find the perfect temperature.
- Remove the cooked tortilla and placed in a covered container. This will keep them nice and soft.
- Enjoy warm or allow them to cool and store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.